FILL IN THE FORM AND YOUR REQUEST WILL BE SENT TO ALL THE COUNTRY MEMBERS OF THE SECURITY COUNCIL OF THE UNITED NATIONS
In this April 2017 the Security Council of the United Nations will meet to renew the mandate of MINURSO ( UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara ) . This is the only special UN mission without skills in monitoring human rights, and all are known abuses by Moroccan authorities against the Saharawi population in the occupied territories. You can help protect the lives and human rights of the Sahrawi people, by signing this petition !
Just fill in your details on the form and give the » Send » button.
«CEAS-Sahara CAMPAIGN 2017 FOR THE RENEWAL OF THE MINURSO AND THE EXPANSION OF ITS COMPETENCES»
SHARE WITH YOUR SOCIAL NETWORKS!
* Twitter: #MinursoHumanRights,
- To sign campaign:#Minursomonitoring #HumanRights in #WesternSahara
- Signe la campagne: Minurso par la supervision de #DDHH dans le #SaharaOccidental https://goo.gl/uVebLv #SaharaLibre
- Campaña Firmas: #Minurso supervise los #DDHH en el #SaharaOccidental https://goo.gl/uVebLv #SaharaLibre
CEAS-Sahara CAMPAIGN FOR THE RENEWAL AND ADEQUACY OF THE MINURSO MANDATE (UNITED NATIONS MISSION FOR REFERENDUM IN WESTERN SAHARA)
The United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) was established by Security Council Resolution 690 (of 29 April 1991), in accordance with the settlement proposals accepted by Morocco and the Popular Front for Liberation of Saguia el-Hamra and Rio de Oro (Frente POLISARIO).
The settlement plan, as approved by the Security Council, established a transition period to prepare for the holding of a referendum in which the people of Western Sahara would choose between independence and integration with Morocco.
The MANDATE of MINURSO, established by the Security Council that determined its powers and which – in an incredible and unacceptable way – does not include the monitoring of the human rights situation in the territory, it includes, among other functions, monitoring of the ceasefire and the realization of a «free and fair referendum«.
26 years after its creation, MINURSO has not fulfilled its main function of organizing the referendum agreed between the parties, and during the present month of April of this year 2017 in the Security Council of the United Nations is planned the debate about its continuity, competences and functions.
FOR THIS REASON THE UNDERSIGNED DECLARE:
1.- We urge the SPANISH GOVERNMENT, in consideration of its moral, legal and historical responsibility, and as a committed member of the Group of Friends of the Secretary-General for Western Sahara, to:
- Comply with its responsibility to end the process of decolonization of the Sahrawi people, unfinished since 1975, a process which can only be culminated by a referendum on self-determination to ensure the free and authentic expression of the will of the Sahrawi people, in application of the relevant decisions of the African Union (AU) and the resolutions of the United Nations.
- DEFEND the consolidated United Nations doctrine on decolonization and Non-Self-Governing Territories under United Nations General Assembly Resolution 2625 to adopt: «The establishment of a sovereign and independent State, free association or integration with an independent State or the acquisition of any other political condition freely decided by a people constitute the forms of the exercise of the right of free determination of that people «, being that the content of the self-determination.
- WORK within the framework of the UN Security Council, through MINURSO’s assumption of its set of competencies under the Settlement Plan, including the protection and promotion of human rights (civil, political, economic, social and Cultural) for the native Sahrawi population in the territories occupied by Morocco.
2.- WE REQUEST to the United Nations Security Council to assume its responsibility in the search for a fair and definitive solution to ensure a «free and fair referendum» and to take actions against the expulsion of the civil and political component of MINURSO which makes it impossible the development of the functions provided.
3.- We demand a full compliance of the verdict of the High Court of Justice of the EUROPEAN UNION, issued on December 21, 2016, which considers Western Sahara as a «third party» that is not under the sovereignty of Morocco, confirming, in this form, the doctrine of the UN in favor of the self-determination of the Saharawi People.
4.-WE REITERATE the call contained in the new United Nations AGENDA 2030 for «further new and effective actions, in accordance with international law, to remove obstacles to the full realization of the right to self-determination of the peoples who live under colonial and foreign occupation and who continue to negatively affect their economic and social development and their environment. «